Monday, January 3, 2011

Are we truly content ?

Here in America we have what people call the "American Dream" which basically today is looked at as having money and things. Christians might refer to a Christian who has those things and has everything going their way as a Christian who is blessed by God and who must be right with God. But is that true ? Is being right with God and serving him being blessed by God ?

It is true that God says that he will supply all a Christians needs and in Psalms David says that he has never seen God's people go hungry. However take a look at some scripture here that I've been reading this morning.

In Exodus 20:17 the Bible says "Thou shalt not covet..." meaning that we should be content with what we have and not desire to have what somebody else has. Paul put it this way in Phil 4:11-12
"11b. For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."
 Take a look at your life, as I did. Can you honestly say that you believe that you are committed to serving God even if you do not have the "blessings of God" as some would say?

Take a look at Job for an example right after God gave Satan the chance to take everything Job had away from him. Job was very blessed, he probably had everything to make his life comfortable and everything he did prospered. But when everything in is life was taken away read what he said in Job 1:21
"Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."
Even though Job had lost everything he had. He still praised God and was just as content in serving Him as he was before, despite the fact that he now had very little.

Could we say that we might do the same ?

No comments:

Post a Comment